took the following pictures the day after I brought the car home.
It was late at night (1am) when I returned from Arlington to pic
her up, and as much as I wanted to take pictures that night, they
just would not have done any good.
home, I found a few interesting things. First, there was a opossum
living in the trunk area that came all the way back to Highlands
with me. I didn't know he was there till the second night when got
out to check out his new surroundings, and found the insulation
in my garage quite edible.
next exciting item was the windows and seat. I hooked a battery
to the car to see what worked and what didn't, as well as see if
she would turn over. Much to my surprise, when I hit the switch
for the drivers side window, it shot right down! Being an old MoPar
though, and knowing their history with electrical problems, I quickly
pushed the switch up and held my breath. Sure enough, the window
came back up! All but one window worked, which was more than I expected!
Next came the front seat. Flawlessly the seat moved forward and
back as it should. No hesitation and no 'strange' rumbling noises
came the moment of truth. To turn the key. At first, it only clicked,
like a starter solenoid on its way out or low amp battery. Then,
for no reason at all, there was a low growl as the engine slowly
turned over for the first time in who knows how long. Yes, the engine
was prep before attempting this sometimes deadly check. Into the
valve covers with a healthy dose of Marvel Mystery Oil. Same with
the Carburetor (which needed to be freed of cobwebs and mud wasp
nests) and an ample amount down the distributor hole. All other
areas were the lubed with heavy weight oil wherever possible. Mind
you, this car has only 22,000 original miles and I have every reason
to believe that the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc. were all original.
After a little gas down the carb many times, I got what I was after.
A spark of life. A loud cough erupted from the dual exhaust, which
in turn launched a family of mice a fair distance across the yard
from the tailpipe condo. As I turned the key again, another spark,
and this time she tried to run a little. After about 2 hours of
tinkering, and parts replacement, she fired off. A little fine tuning
and she settled into a nice healthy idle, ready for road duty again.
my first Forward Look car, I just had to drive her, but neglected
the cardinal rule. CHECK THE BRAKES! After topping of the transmission
as well as all other fluids, I jumped behind the wheel, pushed the
"D" button, and proceed down the driveway. As I neared
the end if the drive, I applied the brakes. Much to my then naive
surprise, there was nothing! I quickly pushed the "N"
button and pulled the Emergency Brake and was able to stop the car
before I entered the street. I then spent the next month rebuilding
the entire brake system on the car. Then, and only then, did I try
to venture out in her again.
me say, what a ride! My first ride only made my desire to restore
the car even greater.
things in my life though would hamper that desire, and as such,
it wasn't until the later part of 2001 that I was able to begin.
The next page chronicles the first steps in the restoration of the
- July 13, 2002